The news section is tasked with delivering timely and factual reports on current events and issues that concern Artlets.
The special reports section goes deep into the heart of Faculty-wide, University-wide, and national issues to uncover the truth through comprehensive stories.
The features section showcases outstanding members of the Artlet community—whether students, alumni, or professors—through compelling personality profiles.
The lifestyle section dedicates itself to enhancing Artlets’ artistic sensibilities by introducing them to the vast world of the arts, music, and even food.
Art & Multimedia Department
The literary section ignites Artlets’ intellectual senses through incisive reviews of plays and films as well as thought-provoking prose and poetry.
More than just capturing snippets of important events, the Photography department tells stories through its own medium. In cooperation with the Photography Department, videographers create audio-visual elements to supplement The Flame’s stories.
Tasked with overseeing the publication’s overall aesthetic, the Art department creates layouts, animation, and artwork to accompany the Flame’s articles, video content, and literary pieces.
Who we are
In 1964, with the merger of the Faculty of Philosophy and Letters and the College of Liberal Arts, the need for a student publication that will serve as a mouthpiece for students arose, coupled with the restlessness of bearing the new identity of “Artlettes.”
Rey Datu, then the Arts and Letters Student Council Vice President, became the first Editor in Chief of the campus newspaper that would later be known as the Flame.
Why join the Flame?
Take our quiz!
Still unsure about which section or department of the Flame to join? Take our quiz to find the best match for your skills!
March 21 – April 20
SCHEDULE OF ONLINE QUALIFYING EXAM:
April 22, Saturday (onsite exam for photographers)
Applicants must collate the following requirements in a ZIP folder named: SURNAME_FirstName.
1. Scanned copy of registration form
2. Screenshot of first term A.Y. 2022-2023 grades
3. One-page resume (include Facebook profile link)
– For writers: Minimum of two (2) sample pieces
– For photographers: Minimum of ten (10) photos
Arts and Multimedia:
– For artists: minimum of two sample works (2) (digital and/or traditional arts)
– For graphic designers: minimum of three (3) sample works (poster and/or infographic)
– For animators: one minute animation using flat objects (refer to The Flame’s Vlog Populi)
– For video editors: minimum of two (2) sample works
Walk-in applicants must collate the following requirements in a short brown envelope and submit them on the day of the qualifying exam:
- Printed application form (available at this link)
- Scanned copy of the registration form
- Screenshot of second semester A.Y. 2021-2022 grades (for non-freshmen)
- One-page resume (include Facebook profile link)
- For writers: Minimum of two sample pieces
- For photographers: Minimum of five photos saved in a flash drive
- For artists/videographers: Minimum of two sample works saved in a flash drive.