by KAREN RENEE S. NOGOY
VICE PRESIDENT Leni Robredo was questioned on Sunday for changing her mind about not wanting to run for president last 2016, when she was still running for VP.
During the CNN Philippines presidential debate, a video clip was played showing 2016 vice presidential candidates, including Robredo and former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., who are now both running for the presidency, saying that they do not have plans to run for the highest post six years later.
Robredo stated that during the current administration, she witnessed how fake news, disinformation, and propaganda ruined many Filipinos’ mindsets and beliefs.
“’Yung 2016 until 2021, nakita natin kung papaano niyurakan ng fake news, ng disinformation, ng propaganda, yung mga paniniwala, mga mindsets ng napakaraming Pilipino,” said Robredo.
She explained that the threat of “corrupt and dirty politics,” which caused many people to suffer, made her want to unify the candidates to reform the political climate but her failure to do so changed her mind and motivated her to run for president instead.
“Sinubukan ko na kausapin ‘yung halos lahat, sinubukan ko na ayain ‘yung halos lahat na i-set aside ‘yung aming mga hindi pagkakaintindihan, pagkakaiba ng plano, para mag-usap-usap pero hindi ako naging matagumpay kaya kumandidato ako,” Robredo said.
Robredo clarified that in 2016, she did not have the intention of running for the presidency this year.
“In fact, promise ko ito sa mga anak ko na 2016 na ‘yung pinakahuling eleksiyon para sa pamilya namin,” she said.
The presidential aspirant declared her bid in October last year.
“Buong buo ang loob ko ngayon – kailangan nating palayain ang sarili mula sa kasalukuyang sitwasyon. Lalaban ako. Lalaban tayo. Inihahain ko ang aking sarili bilang kandidato sa pagkapangulo sa halalan ng 2022,” Robredo said. F